There was a lot done on the allotment this week but most of it not by me. I had a lot of help and when I took a look at the plot most of the weeds had already been pulled up. Thank you for the help from my dad.
Because it had been left for about a month with out any attention it was in quite a bad state — the bugs and snails and slugs and caterpillars had run amok. I spend one day cutting the grass and spearing slugs with a piece of bamboo.
Sunflowers were out however and the bees were around so at least there were some bugs that were having a good time.
On Friday because most of the work had already been done I was able to concentrate on pulling up the potatoes and removing a few weeds from around the cucumber plants that have managed to pop up.
The beetroot plants that had been put in about 6 weeks earlier were doing really.
On the other hand there were two rows of onions 1 red row and 1 white row. One of the rows had disappeared completely but the other was doing really well. I’m not sure if that was birds or slugs and snails or all 3…
I was able to pull up the first of the King Edward potatoes these plants are ready to be harvested.
There are three rows — each row was planted at varying depths to try out the best options. The first few plants from the first row had done well but some of the potatoes seemed a little small.
I guess we will see as I pull up the next two rows and as the depth increases we will see the difference.
Finally I have harvested some seeds from the sunflowers. There are two main types that I like and the first seeds are from the yellow sunflower with a slight red tinge. I have collected a head from the red sunflower with the slight yellow edges but I am trying that out and I will collect the seeds later.